Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fence Weaving

Fence weaving - the act of weaving fabric strips into chain link fence.  Related to the concept of "yarn bombing" however it is less in yo face and more elementary school tangram-ish.

I like to have a plan.  This semester I took a class where there were no plans.  I rolled with it as best I could, and while I wouldn't necessarily like to repeat the experience, it has turned out pretty swell.  Prompted to dream up whatever we wanted, I chose log cabin blocks.  We were supposed to explore our idea using two non-loom techniques and weaving (okay, so maybe there was a little bit of a plan).  I did some knitting and some weaving, and somehow managed to avoid crocheting (I want to like crocheting, but I just hate it).

After the trip to Houston, I needed to present a proposal as to what I was going to make for my final project.  Running on limited sleep, patience, and time, I was lost.  I was in the backyard with the dogs, watching them like a helicopter mom because the fence is wimpy, the bunnies are so slow the dogs can catch them, and the squirrels are everywhere.  To top it off, on the other side of the fence is a playground, so between rodents and children, there are too many distractions for the dogs.  BINGO.  Weave the fence.  Create a visual barrier so the dogs won't kill any other living creature.

My proposal was less than convincing.  I hadn't even really convinced myself.  After a few weeks avoiding the project for fear that it would be a complete disaster, I finally gathered my materials and got down to it.  WOW.  I want more chain link fence.

The beginning.  Word to the wise, fence weaving is better suited to the warmer months.
One block done...

It glows!

More blocks done...must keep going.

Also yawned on Maybe's face and it was scary.


8 comments:

  1. I want some chain link fence! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,

    This is awesome. What fabric did you use?

    Thanks!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ripstop nylon from Joann's with serged edges...eight months later and no fading!

      Delete
  3. I would love more details about how this was made. I'm an art teacher and would love to try this with my teenage students

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it very much. Just wanted to let you know people are still looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone know if a way to do this with recycled materials, or without plastic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I love your fence weaving. I have been wanting to do weaving on my own fence but didn't know what type of material every one is using. Could you please let me know what you used. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fence. What materials did you use for it?

    ReplyDelete